It is seen that for wheelchair users, most of them try to avoid and ignore physical fitness and exercise. They are not aware of this fact that if they do healthy exercises then it will bring fruitful health benefits for them, and they will be better in a position to manage their life. They face particular challenges whenever we talk about fitness and exercise program. In this post, we will be giving a piece of advice to all the wheelchair users and will also be suggesting and recommending healthy exercises for them, hopefully, they come out to be fruitful for them.
The idea of physical fitness correlates with having a lean and muscular body. Indeed, the size of the body and muscles may reflect physical fitness but it is not the only indication. The concept of physical fitness is always evolving as it adapts to the new trends and ideas that present themselves in our society. The concept of physical fitness can also be relative and often individuals perceive things differently and interpret definitions by their values. Nevertheless, despite the relativity and complexity of the concept of physical fitness, most institutions, organizations, and experts in physical fitness agree on certain aspects of the theory.
However, because of the advent of modernization, physical fitness now seems to take a lighter weight. Individuals use to ride instead of walking or biking. They have become accustomed to an inactive and sedentary lifestyle. It is necessary to emphasize that a convenient and comfortable lifestyle introduced by modernization and technology, physical fitness should not be compromised by individuals.
Fitness Advice for Wheelchair Users
- If they are doing regular physical activity, then it will be beneficial for their physical and mental well-being. They will meet new people. If wheelchair users are only pushing their wheelchairs, then it will put a strain on their muscles in the upper body.
- It states that all the adults who are in the wheelchair and are between the ages of 19 and 64. They should be doing 150 minutes of aerobic activity in a week, and also muscle-strengthening activity on two days a week.
- If your aim is to improve your physical function, then you have to involve yourself in some competitive sport.
Effective Exercises for Wheelchair Users
Regular aerobic exercise
- It raises your heart rate. It will cause you to break a sweat. It is important for the health as well as well-being for all the wheelchair users. All the wheelchair users do not have to think about the physical activities using going to the gym, or thinking in terms of competitive sport. They can be doing this aerobic exercise if they want to remain healthy. This kind of exercise will not all make them think that they are using a wheelchair.
Cardiovascular exercise for wheelchair users
- You can have many options for taking cardiovascular exercise even if you are in a wheelchair. It will raise your heart rate. You can have a 10-minute session and then, later on, you can have a session of 20 minutes. You can do wheelchair sprinting on a track, you can also be using a rowing machine, you can do wheelchair sports like basketball, netball and also badminton.
Muscle-strengthening exercise for wheelchair users
- Try to focus on exercises that benefit the smaller muscles like you can have the exercise of shoulder muscles. You can also make the back muscles of your stronger. Gyms are a great place if you want to do muscle-strengthening activities. So, these are all the recommended and best health and fitness exercises for wheelchair users. Try them one by one and one thing is for sure that you will remain active and healthy all the time.
Health Benefits of Exercising
- Cardiovascular exercise enhances the heart’s ability to work in increasing the size of a heart muscle, the strength of contraction, cardiac output and also decreasing heart diseases.
- Exercises increase the functional capacity of the lungs.
- Exercise helps to burn extra calories, reduces body fat, increase muscles toning.
- Blood flow increases during exercise.
- Exercise protects joints from wear and tear because it provides lubrication to joints.
- Increased bone intensity.
- Exercise improves posture.
- Exercise increases muscle strength and endurance.
- Social interaction increases.
- Depression and anxiety are reduced.
- The best way to distract yourself from normal working routines.
Read more: Exercise program for wheelchair activity
Real enjoyment and fun come from the activity of the mind and exercise of the body and these health benefits are enough evidence that exercises boost physical fitness.