[nextpage title=”1″ ]
Fever is probably the single most important symptom of illness. It is also one of the main ways in which your body defends itself against disease. Oral body temperature ranges between 96.8 and 99.3 degrees Fahrenheit. Like a built-in thermostat, a center in the brain keeps your temperature within this normal range, in spite of conditions outside your body.
When you become sick, especially with a severe infection, the invading germs cause your body to produce substances that circulate in the brain center and reset this thermostat. As your body works to keep this higher temperature to help fight the infection, you feel feverish. Your fever may begin either with a sensation of flushing and warmth, ‘or’ with chills. Soon your pulse rate will increase, and you may experience aches and pains in your muscles.
Cause of Concern about Fever
An increased temperature is a clue that you may be ill. However, the number does not necessarily tell you how sick you are. In general, children tend to have higher fevers than adults while elderly people do not have high fevers when they are sick. So how do you know Cause for Concern? A low-grade fever — under 102 degrees Fahrenheit orally — associated with the symptoms of cold or flu is no cause for alarm. However, if your fever increases beyond a low grade, or there are other symptoms associated with severe shaking chills, unusually severe headaches or neck stiffness, consult your doctor. A prolonged low-grade fever, even without other symptoms, or a fever that comes and goes over a period of several weeks, should also receive medical attention. Extremely high fevers, particularly in infants or young children, will occasionally cause convulsions. It should be considered a medical emergency requiring immediate medical care.
Probable Treatment of Fever
Because fever is simply a symptom and not a disease itself, treatment depends on the cause. If you have a low-grade fever with symptoms of cold or flu, home treatment with aspirin (provided you are not allergic) or acetaminophen taken every six hours may relieve muscle aches, as well as lower your temperature. However, any drug treatment should be discussed with your doctor. Aspirin should not be used if your child has a fever since its use has linked to a serious complication of certain viral illness called Reye ’s syndrome.
As part of the evaluation of any prolonged or unusual fever, your physician will ask you if you have traveled recently, taken any drugs, or have been exposed to any infectious.
[nextpage title=”2″ ]
How to Get Relief From Fever Quickly?
For mild fever, your specialist may not prescribe medicine to bring down your body temperature. Doing as such may draw out the sickness or manifestations and make it harder to decide the cause.
On account of a high fever, your specialist may prescribe an over-the-counter solution, for example,
Acetaminophen or ibuprofen
- Utilize these meds as indicated by the mark directions or as prescribed by your specialist. Be mindful so as to abstain from taking excessively. High measurements or long haul utilization of acetaminophen may bring about liver or kidney harm, and serious overdoses can be lethal. If your tyke’s fever stays high after a dosage, don’t give more pharmaceutical; call your specialist. For temperatures underneath 102 F (38.9 C), don’t utilize fever-bringing down medications unless prompted by your specialist.
Headache medicine, for grown-ups
- Try not to offer headache medicine to youngsters, since it might trigger an uncommon, yet possibly deadly, cluster known as Reye’s disorder.
Way of life and home cures
You can attempt various things to make yourself or your tyke more open to amid a fever:
Drink a lot of liquids
- Fever can bring about liquid misfortune and parchedness, so drink water, juices or soup. For a tyke under age 1, utilize an oral rehydration arrangement, for example, Pedialyte. These arrangements contain water and salts proportioned to renew liquids and electrolytes. Pedialyte ice pops additionally are accessible.
- You require rest to recuperate, and action can raise your body temperature.
- Dress in light apparel, keep the room temperature cool and lay down with just a sheet or light cover.
Call Your Physician When
- You have prolonged low-grade fever (under 102 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Your fever comes and goes over a period.
- You have a fever associated with neck stiffness, shaking chills, wet coughs, convulsions,
or a severe headache — call immediately.
- You have an extremely high fever — over 103 degrees Fahrenheit — for twelve to twenty-four hours.